Simple tips for keeping your eyes, and mind, healthy!
There are many ways you can help alleviate feelings of anxiety or low mood such as:
Move more, daily!
Physical activity is good for us, both mentally and physically, helping to lower the risk of health problems that can affect vision, as well as boosting our mood. The activities you choose don’t have to be strenuous, they can simply be going for a self-paced stroll, gentle stretches or a swim at your own pace.
Use your breath in times of stress
When we’re anxious, our breath can become laboured, which can create even more anxiety. If this happens, focus on your breathing with a calming practice such as the 4-7-8 Breath Technique:
- Find a quiet place and sit or lie down.
- Exhale, so that your mouth makes a ‘whooshing’ sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath to the count of seven.
- Exhale through your mouth again, making another whoosh sound to a count of eight – all in one breath.
- Finally, inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.